Underscores the unique health needs of children at different ages and developmental stages
This is the only text/reference book to deliver the specialized knowledge and skills needed to accurately assess children during health and illness. Comprehensive and detailed, it emphasizes the unique anatomic and physiologic differences among infants, children, and adults. The third edition features updated clinical practice guidelines, clinical decision-making, formulating differential diagnoses, and evidence-based practice. It newly addresses toxic stress and trauma-informed care and child witnesses to violent acts. Additionally, the book provides several new features facilitating quick access to key information along with new instructor and student resources.
Using a body system that highlights developmental and cultural considerations, the text examines the physical and psychosocial principles of growth and development with a focus on health promotion and wellness. Especially useful features include a detailed chapter on helpful communication techniques when assessing children of various ages and developmental levels, a chapter on the assessment of child abuse and neglect, over 280 photos and charts depicting a variety of commonly encountered pediatric findings, and sample medical record documentation in each chapter.
New to the Third Edition:
Now in full-color!
Now includes NEW instructor resources (Power Points, Test Bank, 4-color Image Bank)
- Updated clinical practice guidelines
- Clinical decision making, formulating differential diagnoses, and evidence-based practice
- Immigrant and refugee health
- Toxic stress and trauma-informed care
- Child witnesses to violent acts
- Content outline at the beginning of each chapter
- Call-out boxes summarizing key information
- Summary boxes on essential areas of physical exams
- Focuses exclusively on the health history and assessment of infants, children, and adolescents
- Describes the unique anatomic and physiologic differences among infants, children, and adults
- Provides comprehensive and in-depth information for APN students and new practitioners
- Addresses family, developmental, nutritional, and child mistreatment assessment
- Includes clinical practice guidelines for common medical conditions
- Incorporates up-to-date screening and health promotion guidelines