Clinical Management of Swallowing Disorders, Fifth Edition is a graduate-level textbook for speech-language pathology programs that examines the diagnosis and treatment of swallowing disorders in children and adults. Thoroughly updated, this popular text emphasizes evidence-based practice, multidisciplinary team management, swallowing safety, nutrition, behavioral treatments, and management following surgical options. Authored by two speech-language pathologists and an otolaryngologist for a multidisciplinary approach, the Fifth Edition continues to be easy-to-understand text for students and also serves as an up-to-date reference for practicing clinicians who treat swallowing disorders in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, nursing homes, and private outpatient clinics.
New to the Fifth Edition
* New chapter on the aging population!
* The Anatomy and Physiology chapter has been thoroughly updated and 15 beautiful, new full color illustrations have been added
* More images and enhanced figures, including additional FEES and fluoroscopy video studies of swallowing disorders in head and neck cancer and stroke patients
* Many new references, easy-to-read tables, and "treatment hints".
* Information on pediatric feeding and swallowing has been updated and expanded
* Evidence-based practice methods have been updated
* Content has been edited to be more concise, applicable, and reader friendly.
The text features numerous pedagogical aids to reinforce student understanding:
* Case study inserts in many chapters and 9 extended case studies in the final chapter
* 32 videos
* Discussion questions and answers for each chapter
* Bolded and boxed key terms throughout with an end-of-book glossary
* Clinical tips, clinician's roles, areas of emphasis, and key learning points highlighted in boxes throughout the chapters
* 8 appendices featuring helpful tests and tools for clinicians
* NEW full clinical swallowing examination record form included in appendix
* Access to ancillary materials on a PluralPlus companion website, including instructor lecture slides, downloadable versions of the appendices, and PowerPoint flashcards