“The second edition (like the first edition) is well written and based upon up-to-date research. It provides a comprehensive description of best practice and is a must read/must have book for mental health experts who work with students in school settings. I recommend this book with considerable enthusiasm.”
--Thomas L. Good, Professor Emeritus
Department of Educational Psychology, University of Arizona
American Educational Research Association Fellow
American Psychological Association Fellow
From the Foreword
Providing content that is conveniently embedded within current school-based delivery models, this text delivers a workbook of effective, easily applied cognitive-behavioral counseling strategies focused on helping children and adolescents with common mental health issues. School-based practitioners will learn the nuts and bolts of applied practice for fostering meaningful student outcomes, especially related to improving their patterns of thought, behavior, and emotional regulation skills.
The second edition adds value by offering new content on mindfulness interventions, acceptance and commitment therapy, habit reversal training, and behavioral activation. Step-by-step CBT applications are described in greater detail, and two additional case studies help readers to better grasp CBT techniques. Additional new features include enhanced coverage of culturally responsive CBT research, scholarship, and applied practice tips, along with 50 practical worksheets.
The book is distinguished by its in-depth coverage of CBT counseling skills along with an enhanced session-ready application approach for delivering effective interventions in the K-12 context. It offers specific strategies and session sequence based on behavioral diagnosis, and it includes numerous counseling tools such as therapy worksheets, schematics of core concepts, and software apps for use in session or as homework. Also provided are tools for teaching core CBT concepts to children, worksheets to reinforce them, and parent handouts.
New to the Second Edition:
- Provides new interventions such as mindfulness, acceptance and commitment therapy, habit reversal training, and behavioral activation
- Describes step-by-step CBT applications in greater detail for ease of understanding
- Includes two new case studies with detailed progress monitoring and therapy closure
- Translates current clinical CBT practice in depth for the school-based audience
- Offers enhanced coverage of culturally responsive CBT research, scholarship, and applied practice tips
- Includes 50 worksheets for use in planning, structuring and conducting therapy
- Reflects current gold-standard treatment protocol
- Focuses specifically on counseling within K-12 school-based setting using multi-tiered systems of support
- Delivers proven support strategies for common mental health needs of children and youth
- Offers detailed guidance on case conceptualization, session planning, and therapy closure
- Includes CBT teaching diagrams and worksheet for counseling sessions including online content for customization
- Based on the DSM 5 and contextualizes services delivery within a MTSS model