2014 AJN BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARD!
2014 DOODY’S CORE TITLE
Now in its third edition, this highly acclaimed text remains the leading comprehensive textbook and professional reference for Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) education and practice. Supported by theory, research, and current literature, the book focuses on CNS roles and scope of practice; expanding opportunities in primary and home care settings; and outcomes of CNS practice throughout the care continuum and across the three spheres of impact. The third edition is updated to reflect current trends affecting CNS practice, with several new chapters that focus on telehealth, home care, and quality improvement.
The text begins with an overview of the evolution, attributes, philosophical underpinnings, and key outcomes of CNSs in the United States. It then addresses nursing interventions, quality, and care delivery, as well as the business side of CNS practice—consultation, mentoring, project management, and entrepreneurship. It features examples of CNS practice in a variety of settings and specialty areas. This resource provides students and professionals with the guidance required to achieve core competencies and improve patient outcomes.
- NEW TO THE THIRD EDITION:
- Updated to reflect current practices and the latest core competencies
- Features a new section—Creating a Culture of Quality—that addresses patient safety, high-reliability organizations, Big Data, and efficiency
- Highlights emerging areas of CNS practice such as telehealth, pediatric palliative care, wound care, and home care
- KEY FEATURES:
- Emphasizes the importance of the CNS practitioner as expert clinician, consultant, researcher, and educator
- Written and edited by more than 40 individuals representing the “Who’s Who” of CNS nursing
- Highlights core competencies and practice outcomes identified in NACNS’s 2019 Statement on Clinical Nurse Specialist Practice and Education
- Presents models of CNS specialty care and CNS practice with outcomes
- Includes discussion questions, ethical considerations, analysis and synthesis exercises, and clinical application considerations
- Instructor’s PowerPoint slides included