A Practical, Interdisciplinary Guide to Advanced Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers
Mathematical Methods in Science and Engineering, Second Edition, provides students and scientists with a detailed mathematical reference for advanced analysis and computational methodologies. Making complex tools accessible, this invaluable resource is designed for both the classroom and the practitioners; the modular format allows flexibility of coverage, while the text itself is formatted to provide essential information without detailed study. Highly practical discussion focuses on the “how-to” aspect of each topic presented, yet provides enough theory to reinforce central processes and mechanisms.
Recent growing interest in interdisciplinary studies has brought scientists together from physics, chemistry, biology, economy, and finance to expand advanced mathematical methods beyond theoretical physics. This book is written with this multi-disciplinary group in mind, emphasizing practical solutions for diverse applications and the development of a new interdisciplinary science.
Revised and expanded for increased utility, this new Second Edition:
- Includes over 60 new sections and subsections more useful to a multidisciplinary audience
- Contains new examples, new figures, new problems, and more fluid arguments
- Presents a detailed discussion on the most frequently encountered special functions in science and engineering
- Provides a systematic treatment of special functions in terms of the Sturm-Liouville theory
- Approaches second-order differential equations of physics and engineering from the factorization perspective
- Includes extensive discussion of coordinate transformations and tensors, complex analysis, fractional calculus, integral transforms, Green's functions, path integrals, and more
Extensively reworked to provide increased utility to a broader audience, this book provides a self-contained three-semester course for curriculum, self-study, or reference. As more scientific disciplines begin to lean more heavily on advanced mathematical analysis, this resource will prove to be an invaluable addition to any bookshelf.