Looking for an A-Z, one-stop, comprehensive book on museums? Wish you were able to have one of the world's leading museum consultants spend a couple of days with you, talking you through how to start a museum, how museums work, how to set up an exhibit, and more? If so, Museums 101 is the answer to your wishes.
In one short volume, Mark Walhimer covers:
* Essential Background, such as what is a museum, a quick history of museums, and 10 steps to starting a museum
* Operational Basics, such as branding, marketing, strategic planning, governance, accessibility, and day-to-day operations
* What goes on behind the scenes in a museum, ranging from finances to fundraising to art handling, exhibit management, and research
* The Visitor Experience, planning a museum, designing exhibits for visitors, programming, and exhibit evaluation.
Features that even the most experienced museum professionals will find useful include a community outreach checklist, a fundraising checklist, a questionnaire for people considering starting a new museum, and an exhaustive, well-organized list of online resources for museum operations. The book's contents were overseen by a six-member international advisory board.
Valuable appendixes you'll use every day include a museum toolbox full of useful forms, checklists, and worksheets, and a glossary of essential museum-related terms. In addition to the printed book, Museums 101 also features a companion website exclusively for readers of the book. The website- museums101.com-features:
* links to essential online resources in the museum world,
* downloadable sample documents,
* a glossary,
* a bibliography of sources for further reading, and
* photographs of more than 75 museums of all types.
Museums 101 Advisory Board
* Jim DeMersman, Executive Director, Museum on Main, Pleasanton, California,
United States of America
* David L. Godfrey, C.P.A., Allison & Godfrey, Certified Public Accountants,
Norwalk, Connecticut, United States of America
* Van A. Romans, President, Fort Worth Museum of Science and History,
Fort Worth, Texas, and Board of Trustees, American Alliance of Museums,
United States of America
* Sergey Solovyev, Ph.D., Department of Greek & Roman Antiquities, The
State Hermitage Museum, Russia
* Alison Spence, Exhibitions and Loans Registrar, National Museum of Australia,
Canberra ACT, Australia
* Audrey Vermette, Director of Programs and Public Affairs, Canadian Museums
Association, Ontario, Canada