Now in its fourth edition, this classic textbook has grown up alongside the newspaper industry. Today, as ever, it provides students of newspaper journalism with a toolkit for gathering news and filling ever-increasing space with first-rate copy for print and online.
Detailed and down-to-earth, this book delivers:
* Guidance on news gathering, from government and business to sport and religion
* Guidance on news writing, drawing on over 300 examples that have appeared in print, discussing why they work or how they could have been better
* Guidance on feature writing, including profiles, comment, leading articles, obituaries and reviews
* Specific chapters on ethical reporting and the possibilities and pitfalls of investigative journalism
* A review of the new financial realities that the internet is imposing on the media.
Informed by over half a century's professional experience and fully revised to give a nuanced account of the skills required in an online environment, this book is an essential companion for your journalism degree and beyond.