The popular introduction to the genomic revolution for non-scientists--the revised and updated new edition
Welcome to the Genome is an accessible, up-to-date introduction to genomics--the interdisciplinary field of biology focused on the structure, function, evolution, mapping, and editing of an organism's complete set of DNA. Written for non-experts, this user-friendly book explains how genomes are sequenced and explores the discoveries and challenges of this revolutionary technology. Genomics is a mixture of many fields, including not only biology, engineering, computer science, and mathematics, but also social sciences and humanities. This unique guide addresses both the science of genomics and the ethical, moral, and social questions that rise from the technology.
There have been many exciting developments in genomics since this book's first publication. Accordingly, the second edition of Welcome to the Genome offers substantial new and updated content to reflect recent major advances in genome-level sequencing and analysis, and demonstrates the vast increase in biological knowledge over the past decade. New sections cover next-generation technologies such as Illumina and PacBio sequencing, while expanded chapters discuss controversial ethical and philosophical issues raised by genomic technology, such as direct-to-consumer genetic testing. An essential resource for understanding the still-evolving genomic revolution, this book:
- Introduces non-scientists to basic molecular principles and illustrates how they are shaping the genomic revolution in medicine, biology, and conservation biology
- Explores a wide range of topics within the field such as genetic diversity, genome structure, genetic cloning, forensic genetics, and more
- Includes full-color illustrations and topical examples
- Presents material in an accessible, user-friendly style, requiring no expertise in genomics
- Discusses past discoveries, current research, and future possibilities in the field
Sponsored by the American Museum of Natural History, Welcome to the Genome: A User's Guide to the Genetic Past, Present, and Future is a must-read book for anyone interested in the scientific foundation for understanding the development and evolutionary heritage of all life.